Monday, June 25, 2007

quit your whinning sara jane


Social Planning Council of Winnipeg has continued to release important information about poverty in out city, and help interpret how policy is really influencing poverty rates. The March 2007 fact sheet repeats all too common themes of poverty, however, if you are not already familiar with poverty issues in Winnipeg, these facts could be surprising.

Perhaps the most alarming fact is that welfare rates for many single people have been frozen for 15 years, and that single parents only receive $803 per month, approximately $10,000 per year. A single parent of 1 child requires roughly $30,000 annual income just to remain at the poverty line (LICO's 2005 rates).
So why do whine about my financial situation so much? Why can I not feel OK making $400 a month. So many people live with less. It makes me frustrated that I sit here feeling sorry for myself.



Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?