Saturday, September 16, 2006

how day time tv will save the world


Now that I am a student, my schedule is fairly flexible which frees me up to watch some day time TV. What really struck me was was the subtle yet definite change in the diversity of people being represented - especially in "reality" based shows.

"Taking it Off" on the Discovery Health Channel featured several people trying to lose weight, was featuring a married lesbian couple. It blatantly showed their sexuality and all aspects of their relationship. On the Food Network, the show "Just one Bite" featured a family of two married men with two twin boys. "Passions" (my favourite soap) also featured a young black woman coming out as a lesbian.

In just one day of TV, not only was I able to watch about three same sex couples, it was a different exposure than seeing "that token gay guy" on any sit com, or "Will and Grace." Both "Just one Bite" and "Taking it Off" presented a real life couple, with ots of kissing, touching and acting as a married couple do as opposed to "the gay guy" being the comic relief in any show.

Has this been going on for a while or have I not watched day time TV in a long time. Its TV really trying to expand our views? Maybe TV will save the world.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?