Wednesday, May 31, 2006

how may i help you?



It has been an interesting day - a day of bad luck I guess. Most things that could go wrong did. All I can say to myself is a line my dad often would say: "the sun will still set tonight and the sun will still rise tomorrow, bringing with it a new day - close your eyes and get some sleep." Wise words from him coming from a man who does not lose any sleep. Tomorrow feels like it should be a mental health day to recover and recuperate. Why are mental health days not a part of work routines like sick days are? Why is it more acceptable to have a physical sickness with the body than it is to recover from stressful events, mental health issues, or trauma? What does that say about society? But I digress...

For years I have thought the more stress I could handle the more successful I could consider myself. I hope that this value is fading as it seems useless and futile to "show off" a capacity for self suffering - a North American trait towards individualized lifestyles.

Not that today was so bad, it just seemed to me that the little things seemed like big things. In paying attention to that I know that if I cannot handle the small problems, something in my life is pulling me out of balance. In this situation I quickly respond by finding someone else who needs help taking the focus off of me and letting me avoid it. Not great behaviour for a budding counsellor. But that is life, learning where things need to change, changing them when I can and hoping I can take it with me. The sun will set tonight (it already has) and it will rise again tomorrow morning. What am I going to do with a brand new day?

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?